Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Hawaii - Day one

View from room


Lunch at international market


Royal Hawaiian


Statutue on Beach


Sunset from room


Street performer.. only cost me a buck!


first day well in the books, I am a day behind

Day one quick recap. Left BI at 5 am, caught 5:20 am boat. Had a towncar waiting in Seattle to take us to the airport. Everything went fine, the flight left on time. We had a screaming baby near us most the flight.. I need a portable dvd player that is louder!

We got to hotel around 1:30 pm local time. 80 degrees and clear! We stayed at the Ocean Resort Hotel Waikiki, on Paoakalani Ave. 2 blocks from the beach. The room was ready when we got there. After getting settled, we headed out to see the town. We went to the international market and had a pretty good, cheap lunch in the food court. I had mahi mahi skewers with pancit noodles. Yum!

After lunch we walked over to the Royal Hawaiian for some history. What a beautiful hotel. I am sure the chandelier in the lobby is worth more than my car... well, thats not saying much.

We went back to room and lathered up with lotion and headed for the beach. Swam for a while, laid on beach for a while, then headed to a beach bar to watch the sun set over the Pacific.

Later that night we went out and saw the nightlife.. B says its like Vegas on the beach..
I saw many places that reminded me of my trip to Japan. The majority of tourists were Japanese. Most businesses have Japanese signage, and most service workers are fluent in Japanese. I told B we would be back in USA tomorrow, as we plan to head to West Coast Oahu.

I am exhausted.. its two hours behind Seattle time and I have not caught up.. I will try to add more tomorrow. Thats all I can do for tonight. Tomorrow I will comment more on the hotel and restaurants we went to.

3 comments:

Kyle Chittick said...

A chandelier worth more than $213? Unbelievable!

Great view from the hotel. Beach looks too crowded, crazy. Aloooooooo ha!

Craig said...

as promised, will te
ll bout the hotel. Decent, we had a small single room on 12th floor of 13. They have a newer, higher tower.

No room service, little hotel info, bar and restaurant were pretty lame.. this place is a cheap, fairly clean, room to be close to beach and in Waikiki. There are much worse for the $150 we paid..

The only reason I wouldn't stay in the old tower again is because the lanai was so small. It was probably 3.5 feet max. A standard outdoor chair barely fit. The rail was low, and when out on lania, you felt you would fall over the rail very easily..

Kyle Chittick said...

I think it's no wonder the 3x I visited Hawaii over the years we went to Maui twice and the big island once. Waikiki sounds way to expensive and crowded, period.