Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Lake Chelan via North Cascades Highway June 30 - July 2 2013

I have never been to Lake Chelan.   Bronwen ended up with a rare three day weekend, so we found a last minute condo deal and headed to the Lake.  We decided to take the North Cascades highway since I had never seen that either.

We could have cut over in Arlington I think, but decided to take I-5 all the way up to Burlington, so we could drive over the Bailey bridge that is temporarily in place over the Skagit River.

There isn't much to see until you actually get into the National Forest. Then it becomes amazing!

We stopped at a few places to take pictures and then stopped for lunch in Winthrop. It was probably 95 degrees there!  Thankfully because of the heat, we rushed to the first place that looked decent. It was more than decent. It was really really good!  I was shocked. I am not used to finding good food outside of the city.

On to Lake Chelan, we arived at the lake around 3. There was a car in our space! I tracked down the cleaning ladies and sure enough, it was one of their cars. Our room was nice and clean.

We rushed to pump up the floating recliners and headed out on the lake.  Ok, everyone was right, the water is COLD! but not too bad when its over 90!

That night we had dinner at a Thai restaurant, and, as I indicated a few paragraphs up, I got what I expected!

The next day we drove up to the end of the road, checked out the campgrounds along the way.  When we were ready to go swimming, it started to rain!  weird. We decided to go shopping! Found lunch on the way, again horrible! 

Finally the sun broke out and it was hot and sunny again. We headed for the lake.

Later that night, we watched the sun go down from the park.

Good trip, I really enjoyed Lake Chelan and hope to go again soon!

Lake Diablo

Downtown Chelan

View from room

B in the park

Sunset

No comments: