Friday, November 29, 2013

National Adoption Day - Welcome Konstantine to the family officially! November 22, 2013

Crista and Jay offered to adopt Konstantine last year.   After a year of paperwork, the adoption was ready to be official. They participated in National Adoption Day.

The event was at the Kitsap County Court House.  Bronwen and I went to witness the adoption.

The room was packed. We were in the very last row.  The Judge came in, the courtroom rose and the Judge instructed us to sit.  He then explained that since this was not an actual court case,  he was going to ignore court room protocol, because this is a celebration.

The Judge explained what was to happen, that each family would step forward when called and any family or friends can approach also. He talked about the history of adoption and what it means to these kids, he started to choke up.  He then talked about the assignation of Kennedy, as it was the 50th anniversary. He also slipped in a lot of jokes! 

We watched as new famiies were created. It was very moving. Many of the children being adopted were special needs kids. I cannot express how amazing these selfless parents are to take on a life time of care and support. I am so unworthy.  These parents are saints.  After each adoption was final, the Judge gave each kid a stuffed animal and the Boys and Girls club put together gift bags for each child!

The entire event was just fantastic. I had no idea going in what to expect.  Crista and Jay were the last family called,  out of 5 families I believe.  I moved up behind the bench to get pictures and video.

After the event, we all went downstairs for cake and juice.

It was so great to be in a courtroom with tears of joy instead of the despair I witnessed on jury duty. I only wish I was in a position to adopt a child myself.  However, I suspect that the parents who adopted today did not consider themselves when making this choice.

The Family approaches the bench

Mathew sat with us

After the ceremony, Families and children were encouraged to come up for pictures with the Judge.




No comments: