Monday, April 14, 2008

Last Sonics game... ever?

We went to the final home Sonics game of the season. Dallas was the matchup.

It was pouring rain when we left, the weather was appropriate for the somewhat solemn event.
wet


I wanted to be upbeat and have fun, this was my birthday present to myself, but, it was hard to look past the signifigance of this event. This very well may be the final game in Seattle for the Sonics franchise. There is a court case in July, but with no plan by the city or state, there seems little hope of any solution. I try to be optomistic, but there is barely a pulse left.

As I prepared for the game at home, I decided that I wanted to relive as many memories as I could for this game. Ivars on the waterfront, then cab up to Jaliscos, finished by a walk up the alley by my old office and the Sonics headquarters.

We walked down to the boat in the rain.

After we got off the ferry, we headed for Ivars. Ivars was a place we often hit after the ferry ride for a quick meal and a few beers. We used to get the "bar plate", which was a plate of fried seafood. Cod, prawns, scallops and clams was what I remember was on the plate. Back in the day, it was $5.00. Over the last 20 years we watched the price go up and the plate shrink in size.

We sat in the empty bar and watched the end of the Mariners game. The waitress came by and gave us the menu. There was no 'bar plate" on the menu, or anything equivolent to it.

After some food and drink at Ivars, we headed for Jaliscos. Jaliscos is a few blocks south of the arena and was a regular spot for our friends back in the 90's. I haven't been there much since. The place was famous for its "Rally in the Alley" back when the Sonics used to flourish in the playoffs each year. They would put up a tent and barricade off the alley in back and have a big party thier. Kevin Calabro and other sports personalities would often drop in. It was a great atmosphere.

The place was packed. There was no Rally in the Alley tonight. We worked our way through the bar and found some standing room. We ordered and soon after the manager came and told us he had a two person table. We grabbed the table and soon our waiter showed up. We remembered each other from way back in the day and had a nice chat. There were three employees still there from the 90's!

We finished up and had a chat on the way out on the fate of the team. Obviously, that place will be impacted by the loss of the team. He was pretty hopeful of one more year at least.

Up the alley and on in to the arena. We made it to our seats quickly and prepared to watch the introductions. We saw Kevin Durant recieve his Rookie of the Month award. The National Athem was sung, Introductions were done and we were playing.
Opening tip


I went down about halfway through the 1st quarter to grab a beer, figuring the line was died down now. The line was still huge. I waited for few minutes, going no where, and decided to try my luck at another location. I walked past one closed down concession stand after another. I believe they had two open on the second level...

I envisioned Clay Bennett sitting at home saying "why are those people STILL there?" it is clear he does not care one bit about his legacy fan base. Well, for a team that no one is supposed to care about in a record losing year, 16,272 fans came to see their team beat the playoff bound Dallas Mavericks.

closed for business


I thought about so many things while at this game. So many memories, back to the 70's, when my grandparents took me to my first game at the coliseum, to the playoff runs of the 90s. We went to almost every home playoff game during that run. Many memories of time spent at the games with family and friends who are no longer with us. It was hard at times to keep the tears back.

I pulled it together during the second half. The camera on the scoreboard showed Gary Payton in the stands! It was unbelievable, the fans gave him a thunderous roar and then stood for many minutes giving him a loud ovation. It was just awesome. It was so great for him to be here with us for this night. The camera came back to him after the next stop in play and again the crowd roared. GARY - GARY - GARY! the crowd roared.. It looked as though he might get choked up. It must have been very emotional for him.

The game ended in victory. A bittersweet victory. Atleast I can say I saw Durant slam dunk in person.. perhaps there will be more to this story. I can only hope.

History hangs from the rafters

B says "take a picture, it will last longer"

the final seconds tick away for NBA in Seattle

1 comment:

Kyle Chittick said...

it's cool that you went and cooler that you archived in your blog. But... like I said, too early for the fat lady to start singing in this battle. I think Sonics are here at least one more year if not forever.