Thursday, July 17, 2014

Yellowstone Day 5

Leaving day.. :( It is hard to leave such a beautiful place, but we are ready to sleep in a real bed and watch some TV!  Mariners play Oakland tonight, Felix on the mound. We have to be there by first pitch!

I woke up early as usual.  I jumped out of bed and started the water for tea and started making breakfast of hashbrowns and eggs again.   As the stuff cooked, I started packing what I could.    Kelsey got up at 8, breakfast was ready.

We ate and didnt even wash the dishes.  Side note, the dishwashing station only has cold water anyways... so we wiped them down and put em in a bag so that I could properly wash and sanitize when I get home

The new cot.. it wouldnt fit quite right in the bag.. ugh.

the new tent.. oh man.. that sucker is so big.. It didn't fit right in the bag!

A Bison was heading our way this AM
We crammed the stuff in the car and left the campsite shortly after 9 am

We took the long way out, Over the mountain whisch was over 8000 feet!  wow!   We were told this was the best route to spot a bear.  I didn't think we would see one. But,  we hadn't been through that part of the park yet.

We drove over the mountain. There was still some snow at the top.  everywhere else was endless fields of flowers. We stopped by the summit to stretch and look at the flowers.   It smelled like being in a florist!
 
We stopped at Tower Falls for a break and to see the falls.   On the way out, a park truck was in front of us.  It stopped in teh middle of the lane.  I saw people watching our direction.. to my right, was a small black bear!   we were really close!  We both started snapping away while the ranger tried to scare it away. It was too close to people. WE SAW A  BEAR!!!!! I was so happy!  Kelsey really wanted to see a bear, so did I but didn't think we would.

  


After that we checked out the Petrified tree.  Over 50 million years old! Cool.  but hot.

We then reached Mammoth. I had no idea, this place is an old town I guess,   Lots of structures here. This is where Teddy Roosevelt came in 1903.   We heard a lot about his trip to Yellowstone in our travels. 



We didn't stop until outside the park,  We took picuters of the main entrance.


 

Then we went to the Park Visitor Center, which looked a lot like the crowded one at the West Entrance.   I came in wearning my Mariners shirt.  A rangeer came up and told me the M's had dropped three straight to the twins. Thats my Mariners!  I brought a radio to try to pick up some games, but was not able to. I could get the Rockies games and the Ble Jay games from a Canadian station I suspect.   I ended up listening to KSL  Salt Lake city, it was the only station that came in at all after dark. During the day, absolutely nothing!

We left the entrance town and made our way to Bozeman.  We stopped at a local chain called Taco Johns. I ordered a bean taco,  Potato Oles and a side of guacamole.  The burrito was fin, but the oles were so salty.. ugh...

We then high tailed it to Missoula were we stayed at the Courtyard Marriott. It wasn't quite as nice as the Hilton across the street. Both same price.  but this one was right next door to The Montana Club.  which turned out to be very advantageous. 


No comments: